Digital India is a campaign launched by the Government of India to ensure the Government's services are made available to citizens electronically by improved online infrastructure and by increasing Internet connectivity or by making the country digitally empowered in the field of technology. The initiative includes plans to connect rural areas with high-speed internet networks. Digital India consists of three core components, (a) development of secure and stable digital infrastructure, (b) delivering government services digitally, and (c) universal digital literacy.
Launched on 1 July 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, it is both enabler and beneficiary of other key Government of India schemes, such as BharatNet, Make in India, Startup India and Standup India, industrial corridors, Bharatmala, Sagarmala, dedicated freight corridors and UDAN-RCS.
Digital India was launched by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 1 July 2015 with an objective of connecting rural areas with high-speed Internet networks and improving digital literacy. The vision of Digital India programme is inclusive growth in areas of electronic services, products, manufacturing and job opportunities etc. and it is centred on three key areas – Digital Infrastructure as a Utility to Every Citizen, Governance & Services on Demand and Digital Empowerment of Citizens.
Digital India Initiative
- The Government of India entity Bharat Broadband Network Limited (BBNL) which executes the BharatNet project is the custodian of Digital India (DI) project. BharatNet will connect all the 625,000 villages of India by December 2018.
- New digital services
- Some of the facilities which will be provided through this initiative are Bharat net, Digital Locker, e-education, e-health, e-sign, e-shopping and national scholarship portal. As the part of Digital India, Indian Government planned to launch Botnet cleaning centers.
- National e-Governance Plan aimed at bringing all the front-end government services online.
- MyGov.in is a platform to share inputs and ideas on matters of policy and governance. It is a platform for citizen engagement in governance, through a "Discuss", "Do" and "Disseminate" approach.
- UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) is a Government of India all-in-one single unified secure multi-channel multi-platform multi-lingual multi-service freeware mobile app for accessing over 1,200 central and state government services in multiple Indian languages over Android, iOS, Windows and USSD (feature phone) devices, including services such as AADHAR, DigiLocker, Bharat Bill Payment System, PAN, EPFO services, PMKVY services, AICTE, CBSE, tax and fee or utilities bills payments, education, job search, tax, business, health, agriculture, travel, Indian railway tickets bookings, birth certificates, e-District, e-Panchayat, police clearance, passport, other utility services from private companies and much more.
- eSign framework allows citizens to digitally sign a document online using Aadhaar authentication.
- Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) Mobile app is being used by people and Government organisations for achieving the goals of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- eHospital application provides important services such as online registration, payment of fees and appointment, online diagnostic reports, enquiring availability of blood online etc.
- Digital attendance: The "attendance.gov.in" is a website, launched by PM Narendra Modi on 1 July 2015 to keep a record of the attendance of Government employees on a real-time basis. This initiative started with implementation of a common Biometric Attendance System (BAS) in the central government offices located in Delhi.
Black money eradication: The 2016 Union budget of India announced 11 technology initiatives including the use of data analytics to nab tax evaders, creating a substantial opportunity for IT companies to build out the systems that will be required. Digital Literacy mission will cover six crore rural households. It is planned to connect 550 farmer markets in the country through the use of technology.
Facilities to digitally empower citizens
Digital Locker facility will help citizens to digitally store their important documents like PAN card, passport, mark sheets and degree certificates. Digital Locker will provide secure access to Government issued documents. It uses authenticity services provided by Aadhaar. It is aimed at eliminating the use of physical documents and enables the sharing of verified electronic documents across government agencies. Three key stakeholders of DigiLocker are Citizen, Issuer and requester.
BPO and job growth: The government is planning to create 28,000 seats of BPOs in various states and set up at least one Common Service Centre in each of the gram panchayats in the state.
e-Sampark Vernacular email service: Out of 10% English speaking Indians, only 2% reside in rural areas. Rest everyone depends on their vernacular language for all living their lives. However, as of now, email addresses can only be created in English language. To connect rural India with the Digital India, the Government of India impelled email services provider giants including Gmail, office and Rediff to provide the email address in regional languages. The email provider companies have shown positive sign and is working in the same process. An Indian-based company, Data Xgen Technologies Pvt Ltd, has launched world’s first free linguistic email address under the name ‘DATAMAIL’ which allows creating email ids in 8 Indian languages, English; and 3 foreign languages – Arabic, Russian and Chinese. Over the period of time the email service in 22 languages will be offered by Data XGen Technologies.
RELATED POSTAyushman Bharat is National Health Protection SchemeDairy Entrepreneurship Development SchemePradhan Mantri Rojgar Protsahan Yojana(PMRPY) Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi MandhanCheck your Eligibility for Ayushman Bharat Medicare Health Yojana – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan – Ayushman Bharat YojanaHow the India Post Payments Bank Differs from Post Office Savings Account Invest 1.5Lakh/yr in PPF Scheme and get 46 lakh. Save Tax too!Sampoorna Grameen Rozgar YojanaAtal Pension YojanaMudra Bank Yojana SchemePradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan YojanaDigital IndiaNational Pension System (NPS)BIJU KRUSHAK KALYAN YOJANAPradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee YojanaDeen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana [DDU-GKY] SchemeBeti Bachao, Beti Padhao SchemeOne platform where you can lodge your grievances for quick redress Crop Insurance IndiaTV CNX-Exit Poll: Top candidates in UP who are leading and trailing in their constituencies Ethical Hacking for Beginners | What is Ethical Hacking - Career, Scope and Salary in India [Hindi] Kumbh Mela 2019: Indian Railway ने तैयार की इन सुविधाओं से लैस Kumb Special Coach G7/P4: Indian Geography-Rivers of India & Drainage System कश्मीर समस्या क्या है - Indian History - पूरा विश्लेषण हिंदी में - UPSC/IAS/SSC Indian history | आधुनिक भारत :- Part 1
Crash Course Modern History | British East India Company from 1600 - 1857 Rise and Fall of Mughal Empire | History of India in English | Indian History | Documentary SSC CHSL | Modern Indian History (Part-1) | General Studies | Online Coaching For SSC CHSL Career in law, career after LL.B., law scope in india, llb vs, Advocate / lawyers motivational video सिख गुरु || Sikh Gurus || Indian history of Sikh gurus for ssc || Indian history part-13 Famous personalities of India ( Indian History for SSC CGL, CHSL, Railways, CLAT, NDA,CDS)
Polity GK Short Notes- Indian Constitution | संविधान GK शार्ट नोट्स | भारतीय संविधान और राजव्यवस्था Indian Constitution Background Class-4 | Polity | Group-1 Prelims & Mains By Amarnath Articles of Indian Constitution | Part 3 | President/Vice President | Indian Polity | SSC/PSC/WBCS